Payroll Specialist (Contract)
425 Market St San Francisco, CA 94105 US
1. Consistently promote and model the Firm's Client Service Principles in teamwork, work product, and personal interaction.
2. Ensure exemplary client service to all internal and external clients; proactively promote client service throughout department and among teams; respond to peer requests with recognition that request serves a client or Firm need.
3. Ensure exemplary client service to managers and supervisors, demonstrating that results for clients and the Firm are achieved through collaboration, shared resources, and effective knowledge exchange.
Payroll Process and Tax
1. Audit and verify reasonability of all information received, including information passed through the Workday (HCM) interface to Ascentis (payroll) for assigned personnel.
2. Understand and accurately apply policies for exempt, non-exempt, and attorney personnel.
3. Ensure overtime hours and expenses are paid appropriately according to federal and state wage and hour regulations.
4. Maintain Ascentis payroll database for any changes which are not part of interfaces.
5. Ensure all appropriate tax related forms (Payroll and Partnership Questionnaire, W-4, etc.) are received, properly completed, and implemented within the payroll system.
6. Accurately process all components of regular payroll cycle and off cycle checks, including auditing, reporting and filing.
7. Calculate payments and maintain Leave of Absence tracking for assigned payroll. Understand, apply and communicate leaves of absences policies which may involve complex calculations and the application of multiple Firm policies.
8. Demonstrate working knowledge of data, systems integration and process workflows regarding information coming into or out of the Payroll Department.
9. Demonstrate working knowledge of federal, state, reciprocal, and local taxation including definitions, percentages, limits and when each is applicable.
10. Demonstrate working knowledge of taxation methods and the appropriate use of each including for employees whose work/home states are different.
11. Demonstrate working knowledge and understanding of domestic office policies for staff.
12. Demonstrate working knowledge and understanding of employee benefit deductions, including section 125, retirement plans, short-term disability, leave of absence policies, workers compensation and relocation.
13. Demonstrate working knowledge of IRS regulations regarding tax treatment of non-cash benefits.
14. Ensure overtime hours, expenses and various benefits are paid and categorized appropriately within the payroll systems.
15. Demonstrate intermediate analytical skills with the ability to identify issues and propose solutions.
16. Administer complex payroll taxation arrangements.
17. Ensure the payroll system reflects the appropriate wage reporting and tax withholding for all personnel (considering visa, citizenship, assignment, work location, pay method, etc.)
18. Process non-cash benefits, per schedule or out of cycle as appropriate.
Education and Experience
1. APA Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or other relevant professional certification preferred.
2. Minimum four years payroll experience, preferably in a multi-state, multi-national payroll environment.
3. Knowledge of Federal and California wage and hour laws.
4. Knowledge and understanding of multi-state payroll tax processing.
5. Familiarity with expatriate payroll processing preferred.
6. Automated or in-house payroll system experience preferred.
7. Intermediate Excel or equivalent spreadsheet program skills. (i.e. importing files, manipulating data, creating formulas and “intelligently” designed spreadsheets).
Meet Your Recruiter
After graduating with an Associates Degree in Business Administration from Westchester Community College Dan wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to do. In February 2013 he decided to put his knack for connecting people with one another to work when he joined The Phoenix Group. When he's not in the office you can find him skiing, golfing, or spending time with his family.