Manager Research Services
One Financial Center Boston, MA 02111 US
Join Our client's research services team!
The role can sit in Boston, San Diego, or NYC.
Salary: 95k - 120k
MUST have a MLIS degree or JD.
Assist the Director with the creation and implementation of long and short range goals and objectives that align with the firm’s strategic plan and policies and procedures to ensure the effective and balanced delivery of services and resources firm-wide.
- Prepare product recommendations based on need and budget constraints.
- Develop goals for the researchers that align with department goals and the firm’s strategic plan.
- Manage personnel changes and disciplinary actions and make hiring decisions.
- Directly supervise, mentor, train and evaluate the performance of members of the research services team.
- Manage Ceridian Dayforce process, PTO and/or vacation requests, overtime and coverage.
- Collect, analyze and report data with respect to the use of services and uses that data to recommend improvements.
- Establish internal relationships as necessary to promote or improve services.
Research and Business Intelligence Services
- Manage all department research services and business intelligence activities and ongoing current awareness and monitoring services.
- Review and revise policies and procedures to ensure best practices for responding to research, business intelligence, competitive and strategic research matters.
- Review, evaluate and recommend research and business intelligence resources.
- Oversee specialization program matching staff subject, industry or research expertise to firm practice areas.
- Establish relationships with outside research services as needed and develop guidelines regarding their use.
- Perform research and serves as subject, industry or research expert in selected areas.
Orientation and Training Services
- Develop and implement training and orientation services within the department.
- Assist and participate in research-related orientation and training sessions firm-wide.
- Contribute to the research training efforts of others by recommending content and preparing supporting materials (e.g., bibliography, pathfinder, how to instructions).
- Review, evaluate and recommend training resources.
- Establish relationships with outside vendors or independent trainers as needed and oversee their training sessions.
Continuing Education and Communication
- Maintain current knowledge of developments in research, business intelligence and orientation and training services.
- Maintain awareness of current and emerging technologies relevant to research, business intelligence and orientation and training services.
- Maintain current knowledge of resources relevant to the firm’s key practice areas and assigned subjects or industries.
- Work with the Director to prepare an annual plan for professional development.
- Work with the Director and Manager, Resources and Systems, to establish technical solutions to support and improve services.
- Contribute content to the intranet and other knowledge sharing platforms.
- JD from an ABA accredited law school, Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited school or equivalent degree preferred.
- 5+ years’ progressively responsible experience including significant experience in a law firm or corporate environment. Law firm experience required.
- 3+ years’ management experience, including supervision of personnel and project planning and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience in employee relations, performance improvement and separations.
- Knowledge of research methodology as well as print and electronic resources in the areas of law relevant to the firm’s practice.
- Knowledge of primary and secondary business intelligence resources and research methodology.