Legal Secretary - STARS
565 5th Ave Fl 9 New York, NY 10017 US
- Provides professional client relationship management with external clients.
- Creates, edits, and proofreads complex and practice-specific legal documents, forms, and correspondence, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- In conjunction with Paralegals, may prepare or coordinate the preparation of Responses to Auditor Requests. Assists with preparation of Opinion Letters.
- Creates and maintains client/matter lists and communication lists.
- Organizes and accurately maintains physical and electronic documents and files in a timely manner. Creates and maintains working files and binders as requested. Utilizes Firm provided software to accurately store email messages, and maintain and retrieve files.
- Utilizes Outlook to schedule appointments and calendar dates. Maintains contacts in Outlook.
- Assists with timenote entry, including inputting timenotes, editing, proofreading, and closing them on a daily basis.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of internet resources to perform basic legal research and print off cases, as requested.
- Utilizes Service Now software to open new matters, prepare engagement letters, and process conflict reports.
- Collaborates with Client Account Manager and assigned timekeepers to manage billing process, including editing prebills, generating reports, and sending out final invoices. May assist with collection efforts. Coordinates client, matter and timekeeper inquiries.
- Initiates client file transfer requests and assists with client disengagements.
- May facilitate the secure transfer of case/client data in accordance with firm’s data security policy.
- Provides backup support to other attorneys and timekeepers as needed. Volunteers for overflow work assignments when time permits and actively seeks to maximize productivity and promote teamwork. Participates in departmental projects designed to streamline workflow and/or resolve issues.
- Acts and assists as a proactive mentor for junior staff and new employees. Assists with training regarding specific Firm processes and procedures as requested.
- Answers telephones and relays messages. Arranges conference calls, video conferences and live meetings.
- Copies, scans, faxes, and prints documents and attachments.
- Prepares materials for mailing and overnight delivery, including printing, assembling, copying, and ensuring appropriate delivery.
- Receives deliveries of items such as faxes, files, and boxes, and routes them appropriately.
- Makes conference room reservations, coordinates meals, multimedia, and other services as requested.
- Coordinates travel arrangements through the Firm’s travel department as requested.
- Prepares expense reimbursements, arranges for payment of invoices, and prepares check requests as needed.
- In conjunction with the Records Department, assists with the organization and preparations of materials for storage. Assists with maintaining high density storage area.
- May participate in the organization and planning of events.
- May assist in the preparation of marketing materials as requested.
Assisting/Finalizing Closings with the Financial Transactions Group
- Assists Boston Office with work requests for closing support.
- Works proficiently in DM to be able to locate deal-specific documents (i.e., Document Agenda/Closing Checklist prepared by attorney).
- Preparation of draft Closing Document Checklists.
- Works proficiently in the P: Drive by locating transaction-specific folders and/or creating a deal folder as necessary.
- Has knowledge of editing pdf documents in order to extract and save individual UCC, tax and judgment lien search results.
- Prepares extraction requests for the Lead Secretaries in NY relating to a closing daily to ensure extractions are ready for checklist preparation in a timely manner.
- Identifies closing copies and profiling according to the Closing Document Checklist.
- Has knowledge of creating zip folders for closings that are e-mailed to SVB (multiple zip folders/multiple separate e-mails for deals where total size of documents in zip folder exceeds 10MB) (financial transactions team).
- Has knowledge of Kiteworks (for those closings where a large zip folder is requested) (syndications team).
- Has knowledge of uploading documents to external Sharepoint site (fund finance team (a/k/a global fund banking)).
- Takes initiative upon receipt of post-closing documentation to extract pdfs as necessary, save and profile as closing copy(ies), updating the Word version of the Closing Document Checklist to note receipt of same, preparing draft e-mail to Bank providing post-closing documents and updated checklist for attorney’s review and following-up with the attorney weekly until given directive to send.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma required, Associate Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years recent Legal Secretarial experience, and/or 3 years of Administrative Secretary experience.
- Experience working in a large law firm preferred.
Meet Your Recruiter
After graduating with an Associates Degree in Business Administration from Westchester Community College Dan wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to do. In February 2013 he decided to put his knack for connecting people with one another to work when he joined The Phoenix Group. When he's not in the office you can find him skiing, golfing, or spending time with his family.