Knowledge Management Manager
450 Lexington Avenue New York, NY 10017 US
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a thorough understanding of the firm’s practice areas to understand workflows and pain points.
- Collaborate with practice groups to identify, prioritize, and implement applications and technology solutions to enhance legal services.
- Coordinate with practice groups and practice support attorneys to ensure relevant knowledge is captured, organized, and displayed effectively (via the firm intranet, wiki or other databases).
- Evaluate whether practice needs require the firm to “buy” or “build” knowledge solutions.
- Design and implement pilots and collaborate with the Vendor Management Office to make purchasing decisions.
- Collaborate with Business Development, HR, Recruiting and other relevant departments to align the firm’s knowledge management strategy with other key business functions.
- Coordinate training and guidance to all attorneys and staff on the use of knowledge management systems and resources, as well as available legal technologies, and promote user adoption globally.
- Implement effective methods for tracking and evaluating the use and effectiveness of knowledge management resources.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors to ensure smooth knowledge flow and coordination with attorneys.
- Evaluate and assess vendor capabilities, products, and services to align with organizational knowledge needs.
- Collaborate with Vendor Management Office regarding contracts, pricing, and terms with vendors to ensure optimal value and alignment with organizational goals.
- Monitor vendor performance and escalate issues as necessary to ensure service levels and quality standards are met.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer from vendors to internal teams and stakeholders, ensuring seamless integration and understanding of new knowledge.
- Along with the Director, Knowledge Management, serve as a visible interface with practice groups and build working relationships with partners and associates.
- Participate in the evolution of knowledge management at Davis Polk, including the reimaging of the way that the firm stores, tracks and presents legal knowledge.
- Foster a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous learning among all firm employees.
- Stay current on the latest technologies and best practices in legal knowledge management, integrating applicable concepts as appropriate.
- Regularly communicate the value and successes of the firm’s knowledge management initiatives to stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with interest in working with attorneys and staff across all areas of the firm.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Well-developed organizational skills and the ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong understanding of legal information and research resources and a willingness to engage with new technologies and developments in the legal knowledge management field.
- A proactive, strategic, and adaptable mindset.
- Flexibility in daily schedule for purposes of responding to attorney needs and requests and ability to work outside normal business hours as needed.
- 4+ years of experience with knowledge management in a large law firm.
- JD strongly preferred.