new york, NY 10012
A bit about us
Forget the dress code, forget the red tape, forget the rigid structure; we are about getting things done and developing systems that we are proud of. At the end of the day, we support what we write, so having stable, scalable and supportable systems makes our lives easier too.
Over the last 10 years, we have grown from a small office in London to having 100 people working across Hong Kong, London and New York, managing assets in excess of six billion dollars.
We’ re looking for a full-stack developer to join the middle-office tech team in our New York office. This is a hugely varied role that involves developing applications, infrastructure and connectivity for our operations and compliance team and spans throughout the entire trade lifecycle and for all of our counterparties. We pride ourselves in our use of technology to automate and slipstream processes and this role aims at taking that further.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone interested in buy-side finance to learn about all aspects of how a hedge fund operates. We work with many different technologies and have direct exposure to portfolio managers, quants and operations team who all place immense value and trust in the systems we build.
There are no business analysts here: you’ ll be involved in every stage of the SDLC, from gathering
requirements, designing, developing, testing, deploying, supporting and monitoring the system.
As the first middle-office developer in New York this is a great chance to get involved in all aspects of our IT operations and shape this thriving new office while receiving full support from the rest of the worldwide team.
What we work with
We have an existing technology stack (Java 8, React, Kotlin, JMS, Kafka, QuickFIX/J, SQL Server, Oracle, Docker, Junit, Linux) and use tools including GitLab, Jenkins, Jira, Confluence, ZenDesk, ELK.
We are frequently developing new tools as the business grows and are looking for candidates who have the confidence to suggest new technologies / methodologies where appropriate.
Who you’ ll be working with
The brand new New York office has 5 people and is growing, all working together in an informal open plan office. The technology team is a small, friendly team of 15 developers (12 in London, 3 in Hong Kong).
As a small firm, the talent and dedication of our people is crucial to the firm’ s success. Everyone is encouraged to work collaboratively on projects, sharing their own skills and talents with the rest of team, without any of the red tape or endless meetings.
What kind of things you could be working on
- Working directly with the operations team to develop new tools to automate their processes and improve workflow.
- Design and develop our new trend-aware operations dashboard.
- Add and maintain trade feeds with counterparties/prime brokers.
- Improve and support the existing systems
- Bachelor’ s (or equivalent) Degree in Computer Science or similar
- > 3 years commercial core java experience
- Basic SQL/RDBMS experience
- Happy to develop and support all levels of the technology stack, including frontends, middleware, servers and databases. This could potentially involve working with different languages.
- Strong communication skills and willingness to work with portfolio managers, quants and operations to understand their requirements and develop systems to solve their problems.
- Able to work in a fast paced, constantly changing environment, and prioritize work accordingly.
- Excellent team working skills – we’ re a small technology team so working closely together is
vital to our success.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to investigate issues.
Kaitlin O'Brien graduated from St. Joseph's University in 2012 with a Bachelor's in Psychology (& Sociology minor) and has been working at The Phoenix Group since July 2013. TPG was the first interview she went on, and she felt an immediate sense of comfort around peers who were also just starting their careers. When Kaitlin's not in the office, she's probably catching up on TV shows and snuggling with her Irish Doodle, Mr. Wilson!