16 W 22nd Street New York, NY 10010
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to join our rapidly growing engineering team. Our engineering team is structured into small pods of four to six engineers, each led by an engineering lead. You will own multiple pods spanning feature, tools, and infrastructure development, supporting your engineering leads and team members and ensuring the successful execution of their projects and operations. As a part of the engineering leadership team you will help determine technical vision and direction as well as establish processes and drive initiatives that result in technical, operational, and cultural improvements across the engineering team.
While you will not be expected to write critical path code, you will be directly managing individual contributors and leads and so will be expected to have a working knowledge of our architecture and have the technical ability to be hands-on when necessary. You are adept at achieving results not through micromanagement, but rather through empowering your teams and helping them to run autonomously. Above all else you are an outstanding people manager who cares deeply about the well-being and growth of your engineers, and have a track record of coaching your team members to success and developing their careers.
This position reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Manage 2-3 teams of engineers responsible for shipping features, tools, and infrastructure
- Ensure the successful and timely execution of team projects and operations
- Establish and improve engineering team processes
- Sets goals and unblocks teams to drive results
- Mentor direct reports and help them grow and develop their careers
- Work with engineering leadership to help determine engineering team strategy and direction
- Collaborate with partner teams (Product, Customer Ops, Marketing) to provide engineering support
- 8+ years of engineering experience, with 3+ years in an engineering management capacity
- Previously managed teams of 5 or more engineers
- Hands-on coding experience developing scalable web applications
- Extensive experience shipping user-facing product, preferably in the consumer space
- Proficient at project management; has track record of making the right tradeoffs to ship projects on time with high quality
- Experience mentoring engineering leads and/or developing individual contributors into engineering leads
- Thrives in ambiguity and can independently make forward progress in situations when given minimal guidance
- Relentless drive for continuous improvement and proven ability to instill in their teams