BD Manager - Health & MLS
One Financial Center District of Columbia, DC 20001 US
- Develop a nuanced understanding of assigned groups’ strengths, client bases, and market differentiators, and ensure that written content and pitch materials effectively communicate these key messages. Stay informed of ongoing client work, and incorporate meaningful “wins” into materials, as appropriate.
- Monitor industry trends and use these developments to identify and implement new go-to-market strategies and enhance ongoing marketing and BD activities.
- Collaborate with the leaders of assigned groups to develop strategic business development plans, including identifying growth areas and helping to execute on group-wide goals and objectives.
- Work with partners and consultants to identify individual business development goals, and assist them draft and carryout corresponding plans outlining strategies and tactics to meet defined goals.
- Manage the business development pipeline process and work closely with attorneys and consultants to initiate and follow-up on sales leads, prospective client meetings, and sales preparation and follow-up. This includes coaching, responding to RFPs and drafting pitches, tailoring experience and sales messages, prepping and debriefing pitch teams, managing sales pipelines, tracking opportunities, among other things.
- Collaborate with complimentary internal departments (e.g., Finance and Marketing Technology) to leverage firm data (e.g., client financials, pitch activity, etc.) and tech platforms to effectively inform and report on new and prospective client development activity and actions.
- Support integration efforts for all lateral attorneys and consultants hired into assigned groups.
- Work with attorneys and consultants to develop thought leadership to support the section’s strategic goals through events, industry reports, blog content, social media campaigns, etc.
- Direct participation with strategic sponsorships, conferences and memberships supporting key initiatives and target audiences.
- Collaborate with key departments across the firm (including diversity and inclusion, pricing, IT, etc.) to support the section and individual client needs.
- Support the firm’s key account program, including managing a key account associated with the Health Law Section.
- Assist in budget preparation and monitoring, and work with section management to ensure strategic spending of those funds.
- Manage and mentor business development teammates, providing consistent feedback and identifying learning opportunities.
- Assist in the planning and execution of internal meetings and events, including retreats, section, member, and practice meetings. Regularly present business development reports and updates.
- Oversee Health Law Section’s submissions to key legal industry awards and rankings, including Chambers USA, Legal 500, and Best Lawyers.
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested.
- This role requires 60% in office presence; remote work is permissible 40% of the time.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
- 7+ years of work experience in business development, preferably in a law firm or professional services environment.
- Experience in health care, life sciences, or government relations preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with stressful deadlines and high expectations for attention to detail and quality of work product.
- Outstanding client service mentality.
- Ability to partner with attorneys and consultants and develop consultative role/advisory relationship, including the ability to influence behavior.
- Ability to manage multiple, often competing, priorities.
- Ability to see the big picture and operationalize a plan that includes attention to detail and the ability to execute through to completion.
- Strong analytical abilities when it comes to studying industry and market trends, data analytics, and client financials.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, as well as with people with varying communications styles.
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, responsive, a team player, and dedicated to producing the highest quality work product.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written, presentation, and verbal communications skills.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite as well as marketing-specific technologies (e.g., CRM).
- General knowledge of social media platforms.
- General knowledge of pricing strategy for legal services.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a professional manner with colleagues at all levels of the firm.
- Proven abilities to manage the workload of others and coach, mentor, and develop staff.
- Prior experience managing staff is preferred.
- Proven leadership and management abilities.
- Demonstrated experience in employee relations and performance improvement.
- Outstanding sense of customer service, with demonstrated ability to instill this in others.
- Ability to travel 20% or more and based on the needs of the position.